We often give up on the idea of cooking a steak ourselves, thinking that it will not be as juicy and tasty as in a restaurant. But even in your own kitchen, you can cook perfect meat with different roasting, which will melt in your mouth. The main thing is to find the best recipe, choose the right meat, marinate it and serve it with a side dish. You can learn how to cook a steak at home in this article.
What types of steaks are there?
A classic steak is a solid piece of meat. Until recently, only premium cuts were used for it, but today alternative steaks from cheaper, but no less tasty parts of the carcass are also in fashion. Several main types can be distinguished.
The most famous and most popular steak in the world. In this case, meat from the thick dorsal edge of the beef brisket, from the 6th to the 12th rib, is used. Due to the high content of fat and its uniform distribution throughout the piece, it is easy to cook and allows you to get a tasty, juicy and tender steak. The fat is also responsible for the nice nutty, buttery flavor that accompanies ribeye. After heating, it melts and penetrates the soft fibers, making them even juicier.
Premium Turkish variety of steak. This delicacy is prepared from marbled beef tenderloin. At the same time, the main secret is in the marinade, which well emphasizes the delicate taste of the resulting dish.
It owes its name to the T-shaped bone of the piece. The used part of the beef carcass combines tender tenderloin and strips of fibers separated by bone. It is first fried in a pan until golden brown, and then brought to an optimal state in the oven.
Unlike a regular steak, it weighs approximately 300 grams. The fatty part is in the middle of the piece, not on the edges, so it remains even after frying. The steak has a rich taste and aroma with interesting sweet notes.
Aged premium steak from marbled beef. It is considered to be of the highest quality, distinguished by a single piece. Dallas steak has excellent juiciness and a tender, buttery texture and a light meaty flavor from dry aging. There are several varieties of it: with a short piece without a bone it is called a cowboy, and with a long one – a tomahawk.
It is prepared from the lumbar region along the spine. It is considered a meat for professionals due to the difficulty of cooking. Not every cook will be able to prepare a whole piece of juicy and tender steak, which has almost no fat layer, with a degree of roasting no higher than average. The thickness of the piece is 2.5-3 cm. It should be fried on both sides and from the sides over high heat. It is prepared without additional spices, simply rubbed with pepper and salt.
A pork steak is a fully cooked piece of meat, cut from those parts of the carcass that were practically not exposed to physical stress during the animal’s life, and also have a minimal amount of fatty tissue.
How to cook beef steak?
The ideal thickness of meat for a steak is about 3 cm. A piece thinner than 2 cm is difficult to cook juicy, and more than 5 cm is very inconvenient to fry. It is important to choose a piece of good quality and freshness.
Step-by-step preparation of a juicy dish:
- Rinse the meat well under cold running water, wrap it in a paper towel folded in 3-4 layers and remove excess moisture.
- On each side, sprinkle with coarse salt, regular or coarsely ground black pepper, rub it easily with your hands to allow the spices to penetrate inside.
- Grease with vegetable oil (preferably olive) and put on a heated pan (cast iron or with a non-stick coating).
- Fry on maximum heat for 2 minutes on each side until a crust forms, which will keep the steak juicy.
- After frying, it is necessary to keep the meat on medium heat for 3-6 minutes on each side.
The exact processing time is selected depending on the thickness of the piece and the strength of the surface. After cooking, put the steaks on heated plates, let them stand for 3-5 minutes, then cut them in half to prevent them from overcooking or overcooking while eating.
How to cook pork steak?
You can buy pork for steaks. The main thing is to choose and fry it correctly. The step-by-step recipe is as follows:
- Wash the meat and dry it with a paper towel, cut it into pieces 3 cm thick.
- Lubricate with oil and add spices, leave to marinate for a few minutes (salt is added immediately before placing on the pan).
- Put the steak on a heated pan, fry over high heat until crispy (about 3 minutes on each side, do not pierce with a knife or fork, so as not to lose juiciness).
- So that the meat is fully cooked, reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 3-5 minutes, turning constantly.
After turning off, cover the pan with a lid and let it stand for 15 minutes. Then put the fillets on plates. It is not necessary to cut, since the pork steak must be completely cooked (there is no degree of doneness).
How to properly marinate steaks?
Classic steak marinade includes three main components:
- The basis can be oil, water, soy sauce and even ayran. Its main purpose is to protect the meat from drying out. At the same time, all the juices remain inside, and the steak is tender and rich.
- The acidic part is presented in the form of vinegar, lemon juice, wine or beer. Classic beef is quite hard meat, so it is necessary to additionally soften the fibers.
- Spices and seasonings add richness to the recipe, and originality to the marinade.
- Popular types of marinades for steaks
For an ideal dish, you need to choose a marinade tested by time and famous chefs:
- Guilty. It is necessary to mix 150 ml of white wine, 50 ml of refined olive or sunflower oil, 100 ml of soy sauce. Finely chopped onions and paprika are added to taste. The steak is marinated for 2-6 hours.
- Soy marinade with balsamic vinegar. To 150 ml of soy sauce and 50 ml of Worcestershire sauce, add 3 tablespoons of chopped onion, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tbsp. l. Dijon mustard and 2 teaspoons of vinegar. Add 4 cloves of chopped garlic there. The meat is marinated for at least 12 hours.
- Citric. Lemon juice gives the most vivid aroma. You will need half a lemon, 2 teaspoons each of Worcestershire sauce and red bell pepper, 2 tbsp. l of olive oil. The steak is marinated at room temperature for half an hour, then left to cool for 6-8 hours.
Before you cook a steak in a pan, you need to understand the main types of meat. To prepare a juicy and tasty dish, you need to remember the properties of this product. In addition, it is necessary to treat each stage with love and be confident in your abilities!